Turkey Pita Burger
For a twist to your barbeque, try using something besides ground beef and hamburger buns. Turkey has become a popular choice in health food circles and it can be grilled and served on Pita bread for a non-traditional burger. The ingredients in this recipe are mixed in with the turkey as well as served over them as a sauce.
- 1 pound of ground turkey
- 1/2 of an onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon of oregano
- 2 cups of plain yogurt (or mix some with sour cream)
- 2 teaspoons of garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons of onion powder
- 2 teaspoons of dried chives
- 2 teaspoon of dried parsley
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- Pita Pockets
Mix one cup of the yogurt with the garlic powder, onion powder, chives, parsley, salt and pepper. In another bowl, mix half of this yogurt mixture with the turkey, oregano and chopped onion. Form the patties and cook over high heat until done. Meanwhile, blend the other cup of the yogurt with the cucumber and mash. When the burgers are done, place them in pita pockets and top with the cucumber sauce. Mozzarella cheese can be melted over the turkey burgers just before removing from the grill if wanted.
Apple Chicken Burger
Chicken takes on the taste of whatever is added to it and makes a perfect burger for the grill. The apple in this recipe produces an incredible flavor.
- 1 pound of ground chicken breast
- 1 peeled and shredded apple
- 1/2 of an onion, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoons of poultry seasoning
- 1/4 cup of bread crumbs (more if needed to hold the burger together)
Blend together, shape into patties and grill. Try adding apple chutney on top for a most unusual burger.
Healthy Turkey Burgers for Kids
- 12 ounces of ground turkey
- 1/4 cup of diced celery
- 1 small box of frozen spinach, thawed
- 1/4 teaspoon of poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon of garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- Enough bread crumbs to hold the patties together.
Be sure to drain the spinach and squeeze out the excess moisture. Divide into patties and grill or fry in a skillet and serve with mushroom gravy over noodles or rice.
Portobello Mushroom & Avocado Meatless Burger
- 4 Portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 sliced onion
- 3 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 sliced avocado
- 1/4 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons of soy yogurt
- 4 roasted red peppers
- 4 hamburger buns
Brush the mushrooms and onion with oil and sprinkle on a bit of salt and pepper. In a large, heated skillet, cook mushrooms about 10 minutes, turning once. Transfer to a plate, cavity side up, and cover to keep warm.
Using the same skillet, cook the onions in the same manner. Meanwhile, mash together in a small bowl, Ω of the avocado, yogurt, garlic, and some salt and pepper. Spread this on the bottom of each bun. Add the mushroom and fill with onion and roasted pepper. Top with the remaining avocado and top bun.